Monday, April 21, 2014

​I had hopes that it would not be a challenging work, but it was not as easy as I thought. First things first, I didn't invent this pan/tilt mechanism, the one comes with Pixy is a similar solution. So if there is credit it goes to the project team. I got the inspiration (!) from them.

The old friend HDPE comes to the stage again. Why do I use this stuff for everything, because;

I have it,
It's durable, a little flexible but not brittle,
It's machineable, drillable, sandable and can be filed like soft metals, and can be cut with any small teeth saw.
and it looks good. ​​Below are the stages for creating the pan/tilt mechanism. Pan servo is fastened with screws, but tilt servo is kept only with the bracket (painted in black, later) and there is a small trick to keep it in place. I made a small groove on the plate and filed one side of the mount of servo to fit in that groove, so that it doesn't move back and forth.









And, the final product put together,